In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
Sa’eed bin Musayyib (MAPH) reports that there were eighteen guidelines that Umar Al-Khataab (MAPH) formulated for the people, every one of which is replete with wisdom. He said:
- When someone disobeys Allah in a matter that impacts on you, you can give him no punishment worse than obeying Allah in matters that impact on him.
- Always assume the best about your brother unless you learn something about him that you absolutely cannot reconcile.
- Never assume the worst about any statement that a Muslim makes as long as you are able to make a favourable interpretation.
- The person who exposes himself to slander must never rebuke anyone who holds a bad opinion of him.
- Whoever guards his secrets will retain the choice in his hands.
- Ensure that you keep true friends to stay under their wings because they are a source of beauty during times of prosperity and a means of protection during times of hardship.
- Always speak the truth even though it leads to your death.
- Never delve into matters that do not concern you.
- Do not ask about matters that have not occurred because that which has already taken place is enough to preoccupy you from that which has not.
- Never seek your needs from one who does not want to see your success.
- Never treat false oaths lightly because Allah will then destroy you.
- Never keep the company of the sinners to learn from their sinful ways.
- Keep away from your enemy.
- Beware even of your friends, except for the trustworthy one and none can be trustworthy unless he fears Allah.
- Be humble when in the graveyard.
- Be humble when submiting to Allah’s commands.
- Seek Allah’s protection at the time of disobeying His commands.
- In your affairs, consult with those who fear Allah because Allah says:
…It is only those who have knowledge among His slaves that fear Allâh… (Sura 35.28)
(Khateeb, Ibn Asaakir and Ibn Najjaar, as quoted in Kanzul Ummaal (Vol. 8 Page 235))
MAPH: May Allah be pleased with him
The Lives of the Sahaba (Hayat-Assahaba)
By Muhammad Yusuf Kandhelwi – Volume III
Translation Edited by Azfal Hoosen Elias
Editor: Zam Zam Publishers