In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
84. And to the Madyan (Midian) people (We sent) their brother Shu’aib. He said: “O my people! Worship Allâh, you have no other Ilâh (God) but Him, and give not short measure or weight, I see you in prosperity; and verily I fear for you the torment of a Day encompassing.
85. “And O my people! Give full measure and weight in justice and reduce not the things that are due to the people, and do not commit mischief in the land, causing corruption.
86. “That which is left by Allâh for you (after giving the rights of the people) is better for you, if you are believers. And I am not set over you as a guardian.
87. They said: “O Shu’aib! Does your Salât (prayer) (i.e. the prayers which you offer has spoiled your mind, so you) command that we leave off what our fathers used to worship, or that we leave off doing what we like with our property? Verily, you are the forbearer, right-minded!” (They said this sarcastically).
88. He said: “O my people! Tell me, if I have a clear evidence from my Lord, and He has given me a good sustenance from Himself (shall I corrupt it by mixing it with the unlawfully earned money). I wish not, in contradiction to you, to do that which I forbid you. I only desire reform so far as I am able, to the best of my power. And my guidance cannot come except from Allâh, in Him I trust and unto Him I repent.
89. “And O my people! Let not my Shiqâq cause you to suffer the fate similar to that of the people of Nûh (Noah) or of Hûd or of Sâlih (Saleh), and the people of Lout (Lot) are not far off from you!
90. “And ask forgiveness of your Lord and turn unto Him in repentance. Verily, my Lord is Most Merciful, Most Loving.”
91. They said: “O Shu’aib! We do not understand much of what you say, and we see you a weak (man) among us. Were it not for your family, we should certainly have stoned you and you are not powerful against us.”
92. He said: “O my people! Is then my family of more weight with you than Allâh? And you have cast Him away behind your backs. Verily, my Lord is surrounding all that you do.
93. “And O my people! Act according to your ability and way, and I am acting (on my way). You will come to know who it is on whom descends the torment that will cover him with ignominy, and who is a liar! And watch you! Verily, I too am watching with you.”
94. And when Our Commandment came, We saved Shu’aib and those who believed with him by a Mercy from Us. And As-Saîhah (torment – awful cry, etc.) seized the wrong-doers, and they lay (dead) prostrate in their homes.
95. As if they had never lived there! So away with Madyan (Midian)! As away with Thamud! (All these nations were destroyed).
Sura 11. Hud